Monday, July 11, 2016

I'm Feeling Sappy

Sometimes the English language is just not up to the task and we have to take things into our own hands. It's been a year since I have blogged, and I've spent that whole time making up new words to use. The first is "sappy." That is to say, sad AND happy. Both, concurrently.

This has been such an interesting year. In December, I told my wonderful elder board that I was spent after nine great, but demanding, years as lead pastor at LakeView, and that we needed to start a succession plan to find someone with fresh energy and vision to take LakeView into the future. She deserves that. She needs that.

We began to plan a year-and-a-half marathon, which we all realized rather quickly was not a good idea, and so shortened it to 8 months. In January I was diagnosed with Diabetes (Type II) and my extreme weariness over the last few years suddenly made sense. (My blood-sugar readings must have looked like viewing Mt Kilimanjaro through a kaleidoscope.)  But I'd made my decision, and it still felt like the right one even after eviscerating sugar and carbs from my diet and losing 25 pounds, and consequently feeling better than I have in years. The ship was launched and, in the providence and timing of God, it just seemed the right move and the right time despite not having a clue what was next.

As a very rational, logical, empirical kind of chap, you can imagine this is quite a big thing for me. For us. Some people will probably call it stupid. Others will call it faith. Time will tell.

I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.

Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
                                             - Psalm 34:4

Anyway, yesterday was my last official day preaching. Ironically, we are going through a series on the Lord's Prayer, titled "Conversations with God." Yesterday's passage: "Give us today our daily bread." The whole service was a great time of worship and celebration of God, and trust in his sovereignty for LakeView's future, and the Blaikies'.

And then, as slightly-imperfect people, we all had an amazing bbq-ribs-lunch under a perfect sky shaded by perfect trees. It was sublime. It is so hard to farewell such an awesome group of people who mean so much to us and who have ministered to us, as I have to them, over almost a decade. That's a lot of soul-baring and bonding. But it's time. And so, I'm sad to be saying adieu, but happy to know God is on His throne working out His purposes. I'm sappy, along with the rest of my family who came from near (Chicago) and nearer (Monona) but not far (the oldest resides in New Zealand) to farewell this great church that has had a huge part in their lives too.

Thank you, LakeView! You are forever loved.

The Sappy Blaikies (Minus One)