Friday, August 26, 2011

Pastoral Retreat


Mrs B sits cross-legged for long stretches
in a manner impossible for Mr B
 Had a great week away with my favorite woman at Cedarly Pastors' Retreat in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin: (click for more on Pastors Retreat Network). I get out there myself for a day of prayer and contemplation every month or two, so it was great to take Mrs B. to this place that has become an oasis for me. The emphasis was on sabbath rest, so that's what we did. I also got to read three books, one, a novel, just for fun. Shhhh! 

Mrs B says, "How
uncomfortable" &
snaps a pic
A slim volume that was really challenging was David Whitney's Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health (NavPress, 2001). It's worth another, even slower, read, so I'm gonna have to get a copy.

It's interesting how, as pastors, we are called to diagnose and treat others' spiritual health, and yet give so little attention to our own. Maybe that's one reason why 1,700 pastors leave the ministry each month (for stats click here).

Also did some journalling, praying, canoeing, playing "Monopoly Deal" and we even broke the media fast to see the "The Help" (powerful movie).

Last, but not least (perhaps even best), meditated on Jesus' words in Matthew 11:28-30:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

"Now you look comfortable," says she, with a click