Thursday, September 22, 2011

Prayer


I'm re-reading some of Yancey's superb book. He is a man born out of time. Like David, he is a man after God's own heart. Perhaps he is even ruddy, though handsome might be a bit of a stretch. But who needs handsome when you can think and know and write about God like he does. . . 


"It occurred to me one day that though I often worry about whether or not I sense the presence of God, I give little thought to whether God senses the presence of me. When I come to God in prayer, do I bare the deepest most hidden parts of myself? Only when I do so will I discover myself as I truly am, for nothing short of God's light can reveal that. I feel stripped before that light, seeing a person different from the image I cultivate for myself and for everyone around me."  - p 33.