Thursday, May 17, 2012

Turning Fifty

I just got a text from a friend. (At least, I thought he was a friend):
Wherever you find yourself today...don't get too far from the bathroom...bladder control goes out the door when you get to your age! Have a great day!

Good advice, I guess. See, today I'm turning fifty. Or 50. Or the Big five-oh. Or half a century. Or a twentieth of a millennium. Given that my dad died at 51 and my body is meant to be on the downward slide, I guess I should be overly, even morbidly, introspective. But I'm not. There are a few reasons.

First, I was actually born yesterday. So I've had a day to get used to it. New Zealand is a day ahead of the US; the 17th, in terms of my chronology, was yesterday.

Second, my wonderful church family has been helping me celebrate my 50 years over the last 50 days in a multitude of amusing and cool and very generous ways. I'll save that for another post.

Third, I've been spending a lot of time lately in Isaiah. One of his constant themes is the sovereignty of God through all the vicissitudes of life (a word used in honor of my graduated daughter).

Fourth, I am in the Smokeys of Tennessee with my family, looking out on an unspoiled vista that speaks of God's eternality. Though mortal, my immortality has been gifted by Him. Life is a blink of an eye. The meaning of that relative "instant" is only found by an eternal reference point. In this case, the person of God, Himself.




Lord, you have been our dwelling place 
throughout all generations.
Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

You turn people back to dust
saying, 'Return to dust, you mortals.'
A thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
                               - Psalm 90:1-4,12.