Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Final Reflections

As I look out my plane window flying from San Fransisco to Denver, I have a lot of thoughts and, yes, even a few emotions.

Peering down at the thirsty earth from thousands of feet (the 'eye of God' perspective in literature), I think of the two messages I was privileged to give at Auckland Bible Church as part of their 25th anniversary celebrations. I told them the the party is always over sometime, so I'd leave the cheerleading to Tim, their pastor, for his next series on hope.

My two messages were about tough times from the life of Elijah: 1) When life runs dry, and 2) When you just want to die. Great titles for a celebration!

They touched on the physical drought that came on the land for 3 1/2 years because of Israel's sin, and Elijah's journey through both meteorological and metaphorical (spiritual/emotional) drought. They dealt with his confident boldness and then his cloying despair when ministry didn't go as he'd expected and hoped. They explored his death-wish from too much conflict, from loneliness, from burn out.

I shared a little of my own journey.

I've concluded--from Elijah and Moses and David and Paul and Jesus too--that such a trajectory at some point in life is part of the inscrutable plan of God. And since all good gifts come from his hand, it is a gift--simultaneously excruciating and exquisite.

It's true, as had been said myriad ways, that God doesn't use a man mightily (or even moderately, I would add), until he has wounded him deeply.

Seems like the pain (and eventual joy) of the journey resonated with a number, including my beloved sister who took a taxi some distance both weeks. It was her first time; she said she wanted to hear me preach before she or I died.

Ah, morbid humor: a Blaikie family favorite (I'm back in the U.S. now so am back to eliminating letters as I spell words).

Thank you God for Elijah!