Saturday, July 11, 2015

Hero of the Faith #3

Dr Patrick Kuria is an amazing Kenyan, though a very humble man.

As a young child, his family was poisoned by someone with a grudge. His brother died.

When he was older, some medical missionaries invested hugely in his life in every way, extending the gospel and the grace and love of God towards him. "Without God's grace," he says, I would be nothing. I was just a boy in the village watching the cows."

They shared the gospel with him, and education, and a world of possibilities. He eventually went to the U.K. to do his medical training.

Dr Kuria readies an infant with
eye problems for his examination
"Now, I just want to give back," he told me. "I want to make a difference."

And what a difference he is making. Ours was the second of three medical missions in a row he was serving on, all on his own dime. When called, he just closes up his practice and goes. I think this is his 6th STORM (Short-Term Outreach and Relief Mission).

What an incredible example of how someone can selflessly leverage their professional skills for huge impact in the world.

I was very humbled when we were walking to the conference hall and he put his arm around me and said in his thick Kenyan English: "You know you are my brother," he said halfway between a question and a statement. "You know I love you."

There is a wonderful unity in the Christ beyond geography and ethnicity and even language that this trip has brought home so powerfully to me.

One evening we were chatting after his day in the village and he said to me: "You know these pastors you are teaching? They are like the blind leading the blind."

I asked him what he meant. "Half of them can barely see," he said. "You watch them tomorrow and you'll see what I mean."

I watched them, and it was true. They read slowly and with difficulty. The text was too small; their eyes were too strained.

That next evening Patrick and I chatted some more. "How can they lead and teach their people, when their eyes are so bad?" he said. "One of them told me he loves to study, but he just can't read any more."

Alfred, one of the wonderful Turkana pastors, who will see better
My heart was broken. Such a simple thing as a decent pair of glasses could impact the lives and ministries of these great men, their churches, their families, and the gospel.

The next morning, LakeView Church had provided $4700 for quality frames and bi-focals and photo-sensitive lenses (the sun is so harsh here) for 29 pastors!  I have been praising God since. Thank you LakeView!