Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sumpango

We flew through thick clouds that opened up to a gorgeous vista of green and sunlight, a volcano and Guatemala City. My first txt upon booting up my phone: you have exceeded a $200 voice limit. Strange that the text was sent before leaving the States! Aaaaarrrgggg to AT&T.

We drive to Sumpango, about 45 mins out of G.C. and enjoy dinner with the rest of the team. Orientation and introductions are made in English and Spanish. I try a bit of Maori, but no one can translate, including me.

We meet the elders of the church here and hear what God has been doing. It's inspiring and humbling. Other partner churches have had a lengthy and deep involvement with things like medical clinics. Wish I had a few more surgical skills. But it's cool to know we've had a small part too. I can picture my 2 kids and their team two years ago hacking a field here with machetes. Maybe one day they'll be surgeons.

It rains heavily and turns bone-chilling cold in the open but roofed top floor where we are meeting. Eventually we head to our digs to blog and to crash.