Saturday, March 26, 2011

The New Evangelical Virtues (Plagiarized)

I've been working much of the day on tomorrow's message for Mythbusters (A Good God Wouldn't Allow Suffering) and don't really have much more to say till then (ok, true confessions: the real reason is that I only have so much RAM and it is already somewhat overloaded).

So, I thought I'd refer any browsers to Tim Challies' superb treatment of evangelicalism--specifically, 'The New Evangelical Virtues.' It is very good, if you dare read it. It has a lot to do with a recent theological debate, indirectly.

http://www.challies.com/articles/the-new-evangelical-virtues#more

P.S. One day I might venture a definition of 'evangelicalism.' Suffice it to say right now that it is related to, but different from, 'evangelistic' and 'evangelism,' with which it is regularly confused. All right, for now let's just say it is the movement which is centered on the evangel, the euangelion, the gospel. There are lots of different ways to describe, delimit and define the movement, but none of them start with the letter 'd' which means there are 25 other letters that will suffice. What I'm saying in a late-Saturday-night-kind-of-way is that the movement is pretty broad (though I suspect maybe not quite broad enough to contain our mate Rob Bell's recent theological trajectories).