Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sleep Not, Blog On

Woke at 4am. Fell asleep at 11pm. That makes an average of 2.5 hours of sleep the last two nights. As they say in the travel world, "west is best, east is a beast."

So I'm in the dark blogging, knowing that my lunatic ramblings may reach new heights or depths and wondering if the other members of the Fab Five are also feeling like Jonah spewed out of the whale.

Tim and Wayne (neither of whom evolution has selected for survival of the fittest when economy-class leg room is concerned), are rooming together. Dave and Edi are rooming together, last I checked. And I'm rooming with John, a fifty-something single guy from Augusta, Georgia, who grew up in western Pennsylvania, which actually was Virginia in pre-civil-war days, which is a fact I never thought I'd encounter in Israel.

So we were stuck at the airport for 3.5 hours waiting for the rest of our "party" (now that's an interesting word) while they hassled through a passport problem ("oops, running out the door I grabbed my old passport and not the new one").

So we sat and chatted and laughed with each other and at each other. And Dave, who got more sleep on the plane than the rest of us combined, started to nod off, just like he used to in elders' meetings when it hit 9 o'clock. Man, I love that guy.

So we drove the 2 hours north to Tiberius right on the Sea of Galilee and had a late 9 pm dinner, shower and shave (well not all of us shaved) and the great, "refreshing" sleep which I've just described to you.

But I can't wait for the day to begin as we explore the pristine Galilee, which had a reputation in Jesus' day for producing hotheads. And if I start to drag a little and need the requisite sugar rush, I'll pull out my Snickers Bar, only 280 calories, and eat it with relish in front of the drooling others who will think to themselves, "Now this guy came to the Holy Land prepared!"

Lord this is your day and your special place. Would we meet you with wonder and delight through all we see.