Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Return from Taupo, Rotorua Luge

It's been kind of crazy, so I'm playing catch-up here. We returned from Taupo almost a week ago amid lots of laughs and great discussions in the van. These are some wonderful, wonderful friends, including 3 elders I served with (tall TC with the glasses was my elder chairman and is now senior pastor). So good to hang out with these five crazies.

Lake Taupo, in the background, is a massive caldera (volcano crater lake) from a supervolcano that first erupted 27000 years ago and has erupted 28 times since. The map on the left shows its size and location (dead center) relative to the rest of the north island (which is around 500 miles from Cape Reinga at the northern tip to Wellington in the southern tip). The lake is 29 x 21 miles long.

Rotorua is a geothermal region, rather like Yellowstone. It, along with Lake Taupo, is the site of numerous previous elder retreat competitions. One key event has always been the luge, with yours truly holding the number one position. Perhaps the most famous such event in elder lore was when Val, then my women's ministry director, said "Graham, don't under any circumstances let Trevor do the luge! He's really hurt his back."

Upon arrival, Trevor went straight towards the helmets. "Trevor!" said I dutifully, "Val has given me this sacred trust--to make sure you don't go on the luge."
"She'll never know," he said.
Five minutes later, TC lost control and smashed into sandbags. Trevor smashed into him and went flying through the air. Seeing that no one was dead, and now having the front position, I continued on to victory.

Afterwards, people kept quoting me the parable of the Good Samaritan for some reason.

Trevor was bruised from his knees to his navel but managed to keep it secret from Val for a few days until my associate pastor, Jonathan, naively asked her: "So how's Trev doing?"

We had been planning a re-match months ago. You can imagine my and our utter dismay arriving there to find it had closed early FOR WINTER. The best I could do was pose and pretend. I hate winter!