Sunday, May 31, 2015

These are a few of my favourite [kiwi] things

I've already slammed the rain. And Auckland's traffic. I haven't mentioned the price of gas/petrol. Cost me $126 to fill up my son Derek's Nissan Cefiro. Ouch.

Big Sis after she's forgiven my cheekiness
But then there's being able to say "Gooday" to the congregation and not have them wonder what language I'm speaking. And there's spelling, like favorite favourite.

And then there's my favorite favourite big sis who has been going through a really tough time in life in recent years, along with others in her family, but I'm 8000 miles away.

Derek at Wyuna Bay, Coromandel Peninsula
And there's my favorite favourite 1st born son who is half-way through his third year in mechanical engineering at Auckland Uni, and is still working part-time for NZ Post. He's studying for exams across the table as I write this (we've escaped for a few days to the Coromandel to finish my time in NZ at one of our favourite places).

And there's memories of my dad who stepped into eternity 40 years ago, but then showed up unexpectedly at Cheryl's house courtesy of a relative. The photo to the right is evidently when he enlisted in the British Navy (he served in WWII in the Pacific Theatre). Best guess is he's maybe 19 or 20. Another ship that he was meant to be on was torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese. He was held back as he had the mumps or the measles or possibly the munchies. Amazing to think that I would not be here (or there, or anywhere) were it not for a singularly unpleasant virus. And the providence of God, of course.

Last, but not least, is kiwi dress sense. Those who have seen me clothed know what I'm talking about. But this photo, from a T-shirt worn by a friend with whom we enjoyed "fush n chups," says it all.