Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Koru

A little more on the selfie. I'd heard about the selfie stick being the latest craze but hadn't seen one until today at the Madison airport. A couple were trying to manipulate it telescopically. Seems it gives you that wider angle and a little more distance. Reminded me of those aluminum sticks used at Disneyland for spearing trash. Guess if you don't like the person in the selfie you can always stab them.

I'm in San Fransisco waiting for my third and final flight. It's been a while since I've flown my favorite airline. We'll see if it's still up to snuff.

The design on the tail is known as the Koru, the Maori word for the uncoiling silver fern frond which, like the kiwi, is a national icon.

Koru also happens to be the name of our cat, whose claws unintentionally resemble a koru from time to time. The other cat is named Tui, the Maori name for the Bell Bird whose coloring (black with a white throat) she resembles. In the silence of the long, birdless Wisconsin winter I have oft longed for the paradisical song of the Tui to lift my spirits.